Dogecoin (CCC:DOGE-USD) is down this week together with other cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin (CCC:BTC-USD) and Ethereum (CCC:ETC-USD). This underlines its intrinsic weak point. It will likely constantly be an “alt” or alternative cryptocurrency after the two major cryptos, Bitcoin and Ethereum.

Source: Shutterstock As such, it is most likely to have a much wilder flight and higher volatility than these other two cryptos.

One reason for this is since Dogecoin is currently ranked as the 14th biggest crypto

in regards to market cap. Market Cap and Volatility For instance, Coinmarketcap.com reports that Dogecoin has a market capitalization of $5.784 billion as of Feb. 23. This compares to $873.7 billion for Bitcoin and $172.3 billion for Ethereum.

Market capitalization for a cryptocurrency is the total number of coins mined and available (not always in blood circulation) times the most recent price. In other words, Dogecoin is 0.66% of the size of Bitcoin and 3.36% of the size of Ethereum.

Nevertheless, Dogecoin’s greater volatility is also due to its greater volume of trading. For example, Coinmarketcap shows that on Feb. 23, Bitcoin’s trading volume is 11.6% of its overall market cap. Ethereum’s trading volume is greater at 28.8%, but Dogecoin has a tremendous 40.4% of its overall market cap sold throughout one day.

If practically half of a security’s market value is trading throughout one day, its cost is going to be far more unpredictable. It will likewise have a larger variety than otherwise.

Distinctions in Supply

I formerly pointed out that Dogecoin has an inflationary regulated supply. It launches 5 billion Dogecoins each year through mining. This can go on forever.

By contrast, Bitcoin has a deflationary supply structure. There are only 21 million Bitcoins that can ever be mined. Today, according to Coinmarketcap, for example, 18.36 million of these have actually already been mined and somebody owns each one of them.

This indicates that less than 2.64 million Bitcoins can be mined or made as a benefit from mining. This is just 12.57% of its overall supply. That tends to make the cryptocurrency topic to hoarding. This will guarantee that the cost will tend to increase with time. But it also means that the hoarding impact will restrict the crypto’s use as a currency for blockchain deals.

By contrast, Ethereum has no limitation on either its supply or the variety of coins that can be mined gradually. That will allow it to have more usage as a cryptocurrency for deals. But it will likewise, with time, have a restricted effect on its ability to be hoarded.

Dogecoin stands someplace in the middle of these. As you can see in the chart on the right (likewise in my previous article), the supply will tip over time.

Over the next decade or so the supply development slows down to in between 2% and 3%. This suggests that the inflation rate of the supply will trend down slowly and predictably.

This gives Dogecoin the ability to be utilized as a cryptocurrency because its supply is growing. Yet it can still be hoarded considering that the supply growth rate slows with time.

What To Do With Dogecoin

The astute financier in cryptocurrencies will likely wish to diversify their holdings to consist of more than simply Bitcoin and Ethereum. Dogecoin is an excellent option as an alt cryptocurrency.

For one, its higher volatility suggests that on the benefit it could potentially have a lot more potential rewarding gains possibilities than either Bitcoin or Ethereum. Naturally, this deals with the disadvantage also.

In addition, it appears to use the best of both worlds, in regards to functionality in blockchain transactions and likewise its ability to enable hoarding impacts.

However, one substantial downside for Dogecoin has been explained by the Wall Street Journal. On Feb. 17 they reported one private owns as much as 28% of the overall supply of Dogecoins. The individual’s name is not known, however at the time the stake deserved $2.1 billion (likely 15% or lower by now).

The WSJ also stated it could be owned by an exchange or a group of people. The post goes on the muse that it is possible that the account owner might be Elon Musk. He has, sometimes, promoted Dogecoin, however recently seems to have actually motivated individuals to offer it. This is all extremely unusual.

Therefore, the majority of people who are thinking about buying Dogecoin will do it only as a varied position among other crypto coins.

On the date of publication, Mark R. Hake holds a long position in Ethereum and Bitcoin.

Mark Hake writes about individual finance on mrhake.medium.com and runs the Overall Yield Worth Guidewhich you can evaluate here.